Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Dating your doll

  1. #1
    Inactive Member LittleBit's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 7th, 2004
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    I know I'm probably asking the impossible...but is there a way to date a doll other than "pre-Mattel/post-Mattel" or a body tag. Is there is another telltale sign that might be helpful (especially when watching auctions because anyone can put an meet outfit with an older tag on a new doll and call it pre-Mattel!)

    Just curious....

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Felicityexpert's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 30th, 2004
    Posts
    265
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The first tags said "Made in West Germany" but beyond that there is no way to tell.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member kitti515's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 18th, 2004
    Posts
    352
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Oh dear. I did a double take when I saw that subject line - definitely thought you meant a different kind of dating [img]redface.gif[/img] . But hey, in my defense, I feel like we all have rather committed relationships to AG and many on the board have taken their dolls with them to fun places. That's kinda sorta like dating, eh? [img]wink.gif[/img]

    Moving on to the actual topic of discussion, the only other thing I think you can look for is if Samantha, Molly, or Kirsten dolls have white or tan bodies. This won't help you with any of the dolls starting with Felicity's release, though.

    Editing to add - I just thought of something! Do newer dolls still have "Pleasant Company" stamped on the back of their necks? Seems like AG has moved away from printing "Pleasant Company" on anything, so perhaps that's something to look for.

    - Becca

    <font color="#051E50" size="1">[ October 12, 2004 06:28 PM: Message edited by: Becca B. ]</font>

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Felicityexpert's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 30th, 2004
    Posts
    265
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Oh, I forgot about the bodies! In addition the original dolls have a Goetz face mold. I don't know when this changed though. Sometimes people remember when they got there dolls. For example I have a 2003 Felicity, a 2004 Nellie and so on.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Grapedy1982's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 8th, 2004
    Posts
    400
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    My Josefina from June has Pleasant Company. When I get Katrina next month I'll make sure and check her neck.

  6. #6
    courtneysunshine
    Guest courtneysunshine's Avatar

    Smile

    I think Tracy said her Josefina she purchased this past summer had American Girl on the back of the neck and not Pleasant Company. We have two pre-Mattel Samanthas. One is from around '93 and she has Pleasant Company in small letters on the back of the neck. The other Samantha isn't white bodied, but she is from '88-'90. She has Pleasant Company written on the back of the neck, but it is in larger lettering than the later Samantha. I have noticed on a lot of earlier dolls, the "Pleasant Company" is larger. All our pre-Mattel dolls do not have any tags on their bodies whereas all our newer dolls do.

    Kim [img]smile.gif[/img]

  7. #7
    Inactive Member AGTeacher's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 19th, 2004
    Posts
    2,197
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    ALL my girls say Pleasent Company in the back of their necks. When did the company change to American Girl in the back of the neck? Anyone have one like this?

  8. #8
    Inactive Member amandajg's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 20th, 2004
    Posts
    407
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've actually been wondering that, too!
    Here's what I have:
    Kirsten (1991), Felicity (1993), Samantha (1994) - all have made in West Germany and Pleasant Company written on the back of their necks. Kirsten is pre-Felicity but strangely enough she doesn't have a white body! I had a friend who got Samantha just before I got Kirsten and that Sam had a tan body, too.
    Addy (1996) - She has Pleasant Company written in smaller letters and then beneath some sort of letter and number serial number (?). Made in China.
    AGT (lt. brown hair, grey eyes), 1995 - just Pleasant Company on the back of her neck, smaller than my other dolls'. Made in China.
    None of my dolls have tags on their bodies.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member QNPoohBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 29th, 2002
    Posts
    1,460
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The older dolls have thinner faces, shinier and darker skin tone, the early 90's dolls are fat and their bodies match their arms and legs exactly. Their eyes are different as well.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member littledarling's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 30th, 2003
    Posts
    264
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I don't think they have actually changed. Penelope has Pleasant Company on her neck and she's one of the brand new AGTs. Do you suppose they have it so the ones purchased at AGP say American Girl and the other ones don't? It seems like way too much extra work though but I can't think of any other explanation. I remeber someone here saying their new Josefina had American Girl on her neck and they had bought her at AGP about the same time I got my new Josefina, only mine has Pleasant Company and I ordered through the catalog.

    Or maybe they were going to but changed their minds? I really have no idea and am pretty much just brainstorming here. I'd also like to know why some have extra numbers on their necks while others don't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •